16th March 2020 – The world is in a panic. In the past few days countries have been locked down, events are cancelled, schools are closed, the sports world has ground to a halt, and toilet paper is flying off the shelves.
What’s happening? Coronaphobia!
Now I’m not saying that the Coronavirus isn’t a worldwide emergency.
It’s a pandemic (an epidemic on a national or global level) that is putting the world in crisis mode and needs to be taken seriously.
However, is the fear of Coronavirus causing you more harm than the actual virus itself?
“Worrying about something is like praying for what you don’t want!”
These wise words were shared with me more than a decade ago by a guru at the Sivananda Ashram, in India.
The more you worry about something, the more you are creating spiral down, negative vibes – especially if you have no control over the situation.
You have no control over the Coronavirus, or whether your country will be locked down or flights banned. What you do have control over is your response to what is happening in each moment. You can choose whether to create paranoia or to respond wisely and calmly.
Panicking and living in fear is never a solution… and will increase your possibility of being infected by the virus!
How can fear increase your possibility of being infected?
By living in fear, you are decreasing your own protection ‘armour’ so your resistance is low. When you are in negative, spiral down energy, you reduce your resilience, your immune system and you are more susceptible to illness and diseases.
I’ve seen it when testing my stressed-out businessmen while facilitating my Corporate Wellness Programs, I’ve seen it with my burned out coaching clients, I’ve experienced it many times in my own life. It’s a scientifically proven fact that your state of mind affects your state of health.
Stress reduces the optimum functionality of your body.
Think about it… when you last got a cold or flu, were you run down at the time?
More often than not, your body was being pushed too far, and your immune system was weak.
By living in fear, you are reducing your vibration and causing much stress to your body, mind and overall health.
So panicking about the Coronavirus is not helping you!
The question is… what can you do about it? How can you get out of ‘fear mode’, how can you boost your immune system and how can you take your power back?
Here are some positive actions that you can take:
Reduce stress & ‘fear’ mode activities
- Stop looking at the news – Yes, it’s essential to stay abreast of the latest information, however, look at the news for 30min a day and then stop. Listening to the scary effects of the virus 24/7 is just going to keep you in a fear state.
- Don’t be on your phone all the time – the long-term effects of EMF’s are probably just as detrimental as this virus.
- Drink less alcohol, eat less red meat, sugar and gluten – to reduce inflammation in your body – Often, when we go into fear mode, we look to beer or wine to ‘lessen the blow’. However, alcohol lowers your vibration and weakens your immune system. Binge drinking lowers the immune system significantly enough to create a window of heightened virus vulnerability. At this time, you need to do whatever you can to be keeping your system healthy! Alcohol is also a depressant, so you may feel more anxious the next day after a drinking binge. If you are in self-isolation it may be challenging to get food – but do your best to restrict gluten, sugar, red meat and dairy… which all cause inflammation in your body.
- Fear vs facts – Don’t believe everything you read. Infectious disease expert Dr Ivan Hung, says that since the outbreak began, there has been a wave of misinformation. For example, experts in Hong Kong say masks have been useful for infection control of the virus, in contrast to US officials who encourage social distancing instead. Remember discernment. Trust your own inner guidance and learn the facts rather than buying into the fear.
Increase your high vibes
- Seek Solitude – Creating social distancing is the one way of curbing the huge impact of the virus in your area. By staying at home you can literally save lives! This is your time to slow down, rest and self-isolate. So often, I have clients wishing they could work remotely. This is your chance! The world (and probably your business) is giving you permission. Serena Williams is doing just that and says: “Spending the next 6 weeks in solitude. Being a wife. Being a mom. Cooking. Cleaning. Face masks. Makeup tutorials. I’ll let you know how it goes… stay safe everyone.” It’s out of your control. However, you have control over your attitude and what you do with your time. If you are sick and in quarantine, rest is the best medicine. Use this time of convalescence wisely! If you are in self-isolation, but still healthy, use this time to to focus on the things you have always wanted to do – such as work on your self-care and personal development (I have a 10 Week Life Transformation Program just for you! #justsaying)
- Stay healthy & take precautions – your best preventative measures are to stay healthy and take the necessary precautions. Yes, increase your awareness and hygiene but don’t panic if your store has run out of hand sanitizer. Wash your hands regularly, don’t touch your face, and boost your immune system with natural products and supplements.
- Do your Yoga, meditation & positive affirmations – For your immune system to function well, it needs balance and harmony. Know that a regular Yoga practice, will help to support and strengthen your immune system. At this time it’s vital that you keep your Yoga practice going and spend time with yourself on your mat. If you don’t currently have a regular Yoga practice then now is an excellent time to start some ‘at-home’. For my Stress-reducing 5 Week Online Yoga Course, click here.
However, Yoga isn’t only about the postures – the power of Yoga also lies with a regular meditation and positive affirmation practice. When you feel stressful or fearful thoughts coming into your mind (at any point of the day) repeat “Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti. Om Peace, Peace, Peace.” See how by just saying these ancient healing Sanskrit words to yourself all day long (instead of fear talk), you will shift your state into a higher vibration.
- Shift your perspective – How can you lighten things up a little? How can you see the ‘bright’ side? One friend is dealing with the Italy shut down by chilling alone at the beach. Another South African lady living in China said that for the first time she has heard birds chirping! Before the virus, there was too much noise pollution so she couldn’t hear them, and birds weren’t around anyway. Now they are. Which means she’s currently surrounded by a much healthier, harmonizing and balanced environment. You can shift your perspective to not focus on the fear and adverse effects.
Let’s look at the facts…
- 1.5milion people a year die from TB (tuberculosis),
- 770 000 people died from AIDS in 2018,
- In 2016 on average 2 303 people died from Cardio Vascular disease each day. We are currently on about 400 per day with the Coronavirus. [update 9th April: 6 300 people per day]
- In 2019 there was an estimated 1,762,450 new cancer cases diagnosed and 606,880 cancer deaths in the United States alone!
By looking at the bigger picture you can shift your perspective to spiral up energy and get creative on how to start living again during these different times (although do this in the closed quarters of your own home!)
- Laugh more – laughing is a wonderful way to increase your vibes! Mainly laughing at the jokes and miems going around about Coronavirus.
- See where you are on the ‘Stress Less. Live More’ Scale – As I mentioned, stress increases your risk of disease, viruses and illness. Test where you are by taking this quiz and receive a free yoga video & meditation audio from me!
Tom Hanks, who has the virus and is now in isolation with his wife in Australia says “There are things we can all do to get through this by following the advice of experts and taking care of ourselves and each other.” Thank you, Tom!
You can take your power back by using the high vibe tips above and also spreading the high vibes throughout your community – post on your social media, create videos, share this blog and spread the word on how you are saying #no2coronaphobia.
Don’t let the fear of Coronaphobia get to you!
Increase your vibes and do what you can to stay healthy.
Be responsible, not panicky.
And remember… stop worrying!
If it is out of your hands, it deserves freedom from your mind too.